Nailed It!



McKay is a handy guy to have around. Infact, he very much reminds me of my dad. 

I always believed that my dad could fix or build anything he put his mind to. I still do! And by all means, my dad has definitely created, built, and fixed an impressive amount of things. 

I think he lived by the Moto: "If they can do it, then why can't I?"

Well my friends, I'm here to say, I have married someone who lives by that same Moto...

So far it has been very rewarding for me to see my husband build many a thing. However, it does not take a person who is married to this type long to recognize that just because they "can build it" doesn't mean it's going to happen. 

Heck, I had only been married a couple months before I insisted that the silverware tray that was promised me better be bought because a homemade one wasn't showing up anytime soon and I needed to separate those knives and spoons!

Haha oh yes, the things McKay says he will make for me...

*The following conversations are based on actual events*

Me: "We need a kitchen table..."
McKay: "I can make that!"

Me: "We need towel hooks."
McKay: "I can make that!"

Me: "My water bottle won't fit in the cup holder in my car." *Insert sad face*
McKay: "I can make something to hold it!"

You get the point ;) 

All I'm sayin' here is, not everything actually gets made, but they sure as heck believe it will! And you know, if they had the time I honestly think they would. But until then, I am just grateful for the stores I have as backup ;)

What is even more impressive however, than the faith they have in themselves to make anything under the sun, is when one of those things under the sun actually gets made. Can we even begin to talk of their ingenuity?? 

A couple weeks ago I was getting rid of an old cork board while cleaning my house one Saturday morning. The cork board was promptly taken up and by the afternoon was made into an impressive dart board that McKay had been wanting to make for some time. Last weekend, McKay was dying to hit baseballs so we went to Walmart to buy a bat, but when McKay realized that the cheapest was $20 he said, "To heck with this, I am making my own!" The bat ended up costing more than we had expected because Home Depot doesn't sell timber the size of a bat, and it took McKay a good afternoon and into the evening to make it, but by the end of the day, whadda ya know, he had a bat! And an impressive one at that...




But he doesn't just make toys. He made a cabinet for the end of our bed, he restored an old chest of drawers for our bedroom, and he sewed a queen size quilt for me!

Does he plan to make many, many more things? Yes, yes he does! Do I expect him to make these things? No, but I am always grateful when he does and pleasantly surprised at his craftsmanship and resourcefulness.

I love my cute husband to death. His creativity and desire to build has been a favorite of mine since I first met him. I love watching how completely absorbed and focused McKay gets when he sets out to build something. We spent hours last Saturday carving that bat. We had sawdust from our head to our toes but I wouldn't have traded that time for 50 of the nicest bats. There is something oddly satisfying with making things from scratch. Now I don't blame a single person for taking the less complicated route and buying premade and manufactured items from a store, but I also totally understand why some people just want to do it themselves.

So here's to the people in our lives that can build anything they set their mind to.
May we appreciate them, may we be patient with them, and may we always remember that Amazon is only a few clicks away if we need it.


Comments